Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Changing caps in factory Altec X-overs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Changing caps in factory Altec X-overs

    Is this fairly straight forward?

    Do I need a schematic to identify the cap values; is there any trick to access the components within the factory x-over enclosures?

    Thx.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Changing caps in factory Altec X-overs

    I recapped my N1600's and the caps were marked with their ratings.
    Only the paper caps need to be replaced. The bath tubs do not go bad.

    The N1600's are in a steel box potted with wax. If your XOs are potted too, you may be able to dig out enough of the wax to get the old caps out. If the digging fails, try warming them up in a low heat ( 150 deg F / 65 deg C ) oven, to soften the wax. I repotted mine with candle wax.
    Don

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Changing caps in factory Altec X-overs

    Quote Originally Posted by donaldpatten View Post
    I recapped my N1600's and the caps were marked with their ratings.
    Only the paper caps need to be replaced. The bath tubs do not go bad.

    The N1600's are in a steel box potted with wax. If your XOs are potted too, you may be able to dig out enough of the wax to get the old caps out. If the digging fails, try warming them up in a low heat ( 150 deg F / 65 deg C ) oven, to soften the wax. I repotted mine with candle wax.
    Don
    Hi Don!

    I guess it?s the same with N1500A for 604E? I have a schematic for it - just take the same values but newer parts?

    best, Klaus

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Changing caps in factory Altec X-overs

    HI Klaus
    Replace the 14 uF paper cap ( check the value printed on the cap )
    I used a pr of 400 volt polly's, each half the value, connected in parallel, to fit in the box

    Keep the 3 uF bath tub.
    Repot the XO , the wax holds it together.
    let us know how it works out ... and sounds
    Don

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Changing caps in factory Altec X-overs

    Hi Don!

    Thank?s - i?ll try that! I will report here!

    best to you, Klaus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.